- What’s the difference between Christian and Public Education?
- Do you offer any financial aid?
- Do I have to be Lutheran to attend?
- Is hot lunch served at your school?
- Will you offer upper grades in the near future?
- Does the curriculum include foreign languages?
- Is SOTL School accredited?
- Is there a public transportation system available?
- Do you offer latch key?
- Does SOTL have a dress code?
- Does SOTL offer special education services?
- How do SOTL students do on standardized tests?
- Will I be obligated to do fundraisers for my child?
- Are there opportunities to volunteer during school hours?
- What kind of enrichment programs do you offer?
- Are there extracurricular programs or after school clubs?
- Can I arrange a tour of the school?
What’s the difference between Christian and Public Education?>TOP
There are many wonderful teachers and students in public schools. We do not operate a Christian school at Shepherd of the Lakes because public schools are “bad.” However, there are some distinct reasons why we believe that Christian education is a blessing. It is our desire to teach children there is a God who loves them and longs for them to love Him too. Here are some more reasons:
- We get to help children see that no matter what they’re good at or what they’ll be when they grow up, there is great joy in serving God. Every life has purpose and value!
- Children learn God’s good design for how He created the world to work. Our students learn to discern right from wrong.
- At a Christian school, teachers and administrators are partners with parents to instill enduring values in the hearts and minds of our students.
- Our teachers model Christian service and love.
- History is understood as His Story. Math is a reflection of an orderly God. Science involves knowing God through creation.
- The highest standards for learning and behavior exist alongside a culture of forgiveness. We meet students where they’re at and help them become better!
What a blessing! What an opportunity! Have your children join us at Shepherd of the Lakes Lutheran School and experience the difference!
Do you offer any financial aid? TOP
Yes, we do. Need-based assistance is available for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. We also have discounts for new elementary families, for members of Shepherd of the Lakes, for members of other LCMS Lutheran churches, for paying in full by August 15, and for families with more than one child in the elementary school. For more details visit the tuition page.
Do I have to be Lutheran to attend? TOP
No. All are welcome.
Is hot lunch served at your school? TOP
We offer hot lunch on Tuesdays and Fridays. Tuesdays we offer pizza. On Fridays we offer a variety of options from a local restaurant, such as hot dogs or macaroni and cheese. We have microwaves available to heat up food brought from home. Milk is available every day. Hot lunch and milk are ordered by filling out a monthly menu and pre-paying.
Will you offer upper grades in the near future? TOP
We currently offer three and four-year-old preschool, prekindergarten, and kindergarten through seventh grade. We are expanding to eighth grade for the 2014-2015 school year.
Does the curriculum include foreign languages? TOP
Yes. Students in grades one through eight attend Spanish class twice a week. Students in kindergarten attend Spanish once a week.
Is SOTL School accredited? TOP
SOTL school has achieved accreditation through National Lutheran School Accreditation.
Is there a public transportation system available? TOP
Busing is not available at this time, but we have a great carpooling network.
Do you offer latch key? TOP
Yes, we offer an extended care program for all students (preschool through eighth grade) five days a week from 7:30 a.m. until 8:45 a.m. and then again from 11:30 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Does SOTL have a dress code? TOP
There is not a dress code for preschoolers. Students in prekindergarten through eighth grade are expected to follow the dress code. Read the details here.
Does SOTL offer special education services? TOP
Some special education services are available such as speech services and occupational therapy. If you have a child with special needs, speak with the principal to be sure that SOTL can serve your child.
How do SOTL students do on standardized tests? TOP
Our students do very well. Read the details here.
Will I be obligated to do fundraisers for my child? TOP
Participation in fundraisers is not mandatory. We do welcome your efforts in support of the school.
Are there opportunities to volunteer during school hours? TOP
There are many different ways to serve at SOTL. Parents and grandparents volunteer as classroom helpers, library aides, PTO members, fundraisers, office support, and more. SOTL seeks to partner with all families.
What kind of enrichment programs do you offer? TOP
We offer a variety of extra programs to enhance the students’ learning experience and daily schedules. Examples include storytellers, community workers, Science Alive, Wild Swan Theater, puppeteers, and other programs and assemblies.
Are there extracurricular programs or after school clubs? TOP
This year the school offers an interscholastic cross country team, math club, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, running clubs, and soccer club. Many of our students play basketball at neighboring CBC where they play on teams with other Shepherd of the Lakes students. You can read more here.
Can I arrange a tour of the school? TOP
We would love to have you visit. Please call the office at 810-227-6473 to schedule a tour or contact Christi Gaertner our recruitment coordinator at email@example.com.